Self-help support

We all need a bit of help from time to time. The links below will help you access advice and guidance on everything from money and wellbeing to digital skills and employment. 

Pathways To Support Map
  • Money worries

    Don't be tempted to bury your head in the sand when it comes to debt - there are people who can help.

    Advice on money worries
  • Losing your job

    If you find yourself out of work, access as much support as you can to get back on your feet.

    Unemployment advice
  • Carers

    Caring for someone else? Make sure you take time to care for yourself as well.

    Support for carers
  • Addiction

    Addiction is a treatable condition. Whatever the addiction, there are lots of ways you can seek help.

    Get help with addiction
  • Study online

    There are lots of high-quality (and free) courses available online.

    Online courses
  • Education and training

    Information about training and apprenticeship opportunities in the East Midlands.

    Find training
  • Utility bills

    If you're feeling the pinch from increasing energy bills, there are people who can help. 

    Get support with bills
  • Cost of living

    Food and transport costs have gone up a lot in recent years - make sure you ask for help if you need it. 

    Help with the cost of living
  • Paying my rent

    We offer a range of ways to pay, and you can pay online using your My NCHA account.

    Paying my rent
  • Help with my rent

    If you’re behind with your rent (this is called being in rent arrears), there is help available.

    Get help with your rent
  • Request a repair

    If you need a repair done on your home, you can report it online. Check first to see if it’s your responsibility or ours.

    Request a repair
  • Help with routine repairs

    Tenants are responsible for some repairs – read our advice on carrying some simple tasks yourself.

    Repairs advice
  • Damp and mould

    If you’re concerned about damp or mould issues in your home, don’t hesitate to contact us.

    Information on damp and mould
  • Key fobs for car parks and shared doors

    If you need a replacement key fob to give you access to a car park or communal area, please contact us. There is a fee of £35 for replacement or extra key fobs.

    Contact NCHA
  • Replacement keys for your home

    If you have lost or damaged your keys – or locked yourself out of your home – you’ll need to arrange and pay for replacement keys yourself. Please also contact us if this happens.

    Contact NCHA
  • Replacement keys for home in independent living schemes

    If your home is in an independent living scheme, please speak to your scheme manager about replacement keys.

  • Accessibility and adaptations

    We can help you to adapt your home so that it's more suitable for your needs. This could include things like grab rails, ramps and accessible bathrooms.

    Contact us about adaptations
  • Home improvements

    Contact us if you’re planning any home improvements, as you need written permission before any work starts.

    Read about improving your home
  • Getting a pet

    We support and encourage responsible pet ownership in our properties, but as you'd expect, there are some rules in place.

    Advice on getting permission to have a pet
  • Noise, abuse, litter and dog fouling

    If you’re affected by anti-social behaviour, you can report it to NCHA, your local council, or the police – it depends on what the issue is.

    How to report anti-social behaviour
  • Get involved with NCHA

    If you’re interested in making a contribution that can help lots of other customers, why not get involved? You’ll learn new skills, meet new people and get paid too.

    Find out about getting involved
  • Accessing banking services

    You can do banking online if you have the right skills – but there are still ways to bank offline.

    Accessing banking services

Select an option to get started. 

Select an option to see what help is available.