Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone. It is not limited to any one ‘type’ of person or relationship.

How to get support

If you or someone you know is the victim of domestic abuse, the website is a good place to look for advice, as well as information on services that can help. 

Calling the police

If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone, call 999 and listen to the questions from the operator and, if you can, respond by coughing or tapping on the handset. If you’re able to, follow the prompts to press 55, which alerts the operator that you need help. (This is a national scheme called the Silent Solution.) 

Some councils have schemes to provide local support services.