Help with paying rent

Please note: if you are a home owner, a resident in an almshouse, or a tenant on a six-month assured shorthold tenancy who has paid a deposit, this section may not apply to you.

It's really important that you pay your rent: your home could be at risk if you don't keep up with rent payments. Please contact us and ask to speak to your income officer if you're worried about getting into debt.

If you get behind with your rent (we call this ’getting into arrears’), we will deal with the matter quickly, efficiently and in a confidential and sympathetic way. We will contact you at every stage of the process to advise and help you with your rent arrears.

We will always try to come to an affordable arrangement with you to start making repayments against your arrears. As long as you keep to this arrangement and your arrears decrease, we will not take any further action against your tenancy.

If you are struggling to pay your rent, it is important that you contact us and speak to an income officer straight away. They can give you advice about applying for benefits that you might be eligible for. They can also give you basic advice on organising your debts and refer you for specialist help where appropriate.

Support available includes:

  • NCHA's Community Support team, who can help with benefits, debt, and budgeting
  • Referring you to NCHA's Debt and Welfare Benefits Advisor, who is part of our Welfare reform team, and can help if your tenancy is at risk, or if specialist debt advice is required
  • Other specialist support agencies in your area. 

We have a dedicated Welfare Reform team who can help with new claims for Universal Credit. They can support you with changes to your circumstances, rearranging payment plans, and benefit calculations (so you know what to expect). You can email them at