Caring for pets 

If you’ve been given permission to have a pet, you will need to keep it under control at all times. If your pet causes any damage to NCHA’s property, fixtures and fittings, you’ll be required to repair that damage as soon as possible. Before you go ahead, check the list of pets that are allowed in NCHA properties. 

Dog being walked by ownerYou need to be a good neighbour: clean up promptly after your pets, make sure they behave, and be considerate when it comes to noise.

All dogs, including assistance dogs, must wear a collar and ID tag to comply with current legislation. You’ll also need to keep them on a lead when they are in a communal area.

It’s essential that you keep your pet safe. For example, you must never tether an animal on a balcony or shared walkway, where they could be at risk of falling or significant harm. You should protect pets from extreme temperatures, both hot and cold – this particularly applies to pets that may have access to outdoor space.

Problems with your neighbour’s pets

If your neighbour has a pet or pets that are causing problems for you report this using your My NCHA account.

Nuisance relating to pets could include:

  • Someone failing to clean up promptly after their pet
  • Loud or persistent noise from a pet
  • Dogs acting dangerously or not being kept under control in communal areas
  • Someone keeping windows or doors in communal areas open to allow their pet to get in and out
  • People who use their pets to intimidate others.

We will try to resolve the situation informally. If that isn’t successful, there are further options:

  • We can arrange for a mediator to work with involved parties.
  • We can make responsible pet ownership part of a Good Neighbour Agreement or Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC) – and it’s also possible to get an injunction or court order directing what owners must do to control their pets.
  • We can withdraw permission to keep a pet, or restrict the number of pets someone can own.
  • We can get involvement from the RSPCA, police or local council – the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act (2014) includes powers to deal with dog-related incidents.

In extreme cases, it’s also possible for us to get a court order to repossess the property.

Animal welfare

If you are concerned about the welfare of an animal in an NCHA property, we want to hear from you and will take action to help. That could include us contacting the local council, police or Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA). Read more information on concerns with animal welfare