Warning about disrepair claims

As a social housing customer you may have seen or heard adverts from claims management companies about making a disrepair claim against your landlord. These adverts feature regularly on social media and radio at the moment. These companies may even have called or emailed you directly.

Claims management companies target tenants, particularly those in social housing, and encourage them to make a claim for disrepair.

A housing disrepair claim is a type of legal case that involves a tenant taking legal action against their landlord for either failing to fix repairs to their home in a reasonable time frame, or failing to complete them at all.

If you agree to pursue this, the claims management company will sell your claim to a solicitor who will act as an intermediary between you and your landlord (us) and handle your claim, at a cost.

The downsides of disrepair claims

Although the sales pitch from these companies may sound good, there can be many downsides to pursuing this, including:

  • Hidden costs – You may be asked to pay for an insurance policy, and may be responsible for solicitors fees and legal costs if your claim is not successful, and under some other circumstances.
  • Fees if you change your mind – If you want to stop the process, you’ll usually have to pay for all the costs incurred up to that point.
  • Time taken and distress caused – Some cases can take years to resolve and you may have to appear in court which can be very stressful.
  • Breach of your tenancy agreement – If you pursue a disrepair claim these companies will usually advise you not to allow access to your landlord during that time. This would put you in breach of your tenancy agreement.

We want to keep your home safe and in good repair, for both your benefit and ours, so we strongly encourage you to cooperate with us so we can achieve that together.

Talk to us

If you are considering a disrepair claim, please talk to us first. We have a new Customer Resolution team who will be happy to talk to you about your options. You can also read about our complaints process and policy. Find out how to contact us.

Seek independent advice

If you would prefer to speak to an independent person or organisation, we recommend the following: