Noise nuisance

Loud music or other noise can be irritating, but there are things you can do. 

Reporting noise nuisance

If the noise is coming from an NCHA property, contact us - our service standards explain what you can expect from us. Where there are problems with noise, we will need you to tell us who you think is causing the noise so that we can investigate.

If it's a regular problem, keep a note of dates and times - you could also make a recording on your phone. The environmental health team at your local council have a statutory responsibility to deal with noise nuisance, and you should contact them to see what they can do. 

If the noise is especially troubling or the situation seems to be out of hand - for example an argument or a party - contact the police by dialling 101. They will keep a record of the incident, and when possible, they will respond with a visit. You should also call 101 to report general noise nuisance from non-NCHA properties.

What we can't help with

There are some things we can't help with, because they're not considered to be anti-social behaviour. These things include:

  • Children playing
  • Babies crying
  • Household noise caused by everyday living, e.g. reasonable use of television and music players, noise from electrical items like washing machines and vacuum cleaners at normal hours of the day, DIY during reasonable hours, using stairs, walking about and going in and out of cupboards and doors.
  • One-off parties that are not of an exceptional nature
  • Normal social events in gardens and outside spaces such as barbecues and celebrations.