Colour Switcher:

Font Resizer:

Coronavirus - your questions answered

Moving house

Please note, the following information does not apply to shared ownership and outright sale properties, and those in supported housing.

Are NCHA continuing to let properties?

The government are urging people not to move home, including renters, to limit the spread of coronavirus.

We will support applicants and tenants to move home if this will prevent homelessness, however we will consider delaying other allocations should it be safer for you to remain in your current home.

You’ve offered me a property – will I still be able to take it?

If we have made an offer of a property to you, we will hold this for you until it is safe for the move to go ahead.

It is very important that you keep us informed of any changes to your situation, especially if you are in a high risk category or self- isolating.

We will endeavour to continue to process your application and new tenancy remotely, so we have as much in place as possible ready for when it is safe to move you, however we may have to delay any viewings if these cannot be carried out safely.

We will be contacting everyone currently being considered for one of our homes in order to discuss individual circumstances.

I am self-isolating, but you’ve offered me a property. Will you hold it for me?

If the government guidelines change and moving home is possible, but you are self-isolating, we will hold the property for you until your self-isolation ends.

I don’t have the valid identification required and I can’t get it very quickly because of delays caused by coronavirus. Can I still be considered for an NCHA home?

We are not able to offer a tenancy to anyone who is unable to provide their identification (ID) to us, along with their Right to Rent a home (immigration status). If you do not have the identification available that we ask for, then we would not be able to continue with your application.

One of our allocations colleagues will talk you through the types of identification that are acceptable and it is very important that you let us know as soon as you can if producing the correct ID will be an issue for you.

You may be able to reapply for another NCHA home in the future, once you have the necessary ID available.

I have handed in my notice to leave but I am self-isolating. What do I do?

Please talk to your Estates Officer so we can work with you on a solution. We will be as flexible as possible given the current circumstances.

I have applied to exchange my home with someone else. Will this be able to go ahead?

If you have already had your application to exchange homes with someone else approved by all of the landlords involved, we will endeavour to proceed with the application. We will do this in line with the current safety and social distancing guidelines, and any current government guidance about moving home. This may not be possible, however, if the other landlord(s) have suspended their mutual exchange service, if we cannot proceed because of staff shortages, or we’re unable to access your property.

If you have applied but we have not yet agreed to the exchange, we will consider suspending your application until such time as we can reasonably process your application without issues, but will look at each case individually.

We will be contacting everyone in due course who has applied for a mutual exchange to let you know how you are affected.